From the archives: Galway Intermediates 1962   14/08/2012

By The Man with the Cap

In the build up to this Saturday's All-Ireland Intermediate Hurling semi-final between Kilkenny and Galway, we will take a look down memory lane and flick the pages back to 50 years ago and to 1962.

Galway first and only hurling title in the period 1959 to 1969 was in 1962 when our Intermediate hurlers lifted the Munster title. Our stay in Munster was not overall successful but there is no doubt that the win in 1962 was sweet. 50 years on it is no harm to remember that famous victory and the men involved. The squad were honoured at a National League tie earlier this year in Pearse Stadium, but here we will give you a small report on that win.

By the way, we had already beaten Waterford in the Munster semi-final by 4-9 to 2-2. After the win over Cork, Galway went on to face Carlow in the All-Ireland "Home" Final, in a match played in St. Brendan's Park, Birr. Unfortunately the Carlow lads showed more pace and speed and won their only ever All-Ireland Intermediate title on a scoreline of 3-9 to 2-5. (Note they later beat London by 6-15 to 3-3 to lift the "full" title).

Galway did also reach 3 further Munster Intermediate finals but lost all three - to Cork in 1964, to Tipperary in 1966 and again to Cork in 1969.
Here is a piece I came across in my scrapbooks. I am not too sure where it came from but thanks to the author anyways.

GALWAY.........5-4;     CORK.............4-6

"Galway played Cork in the Munster Intermediate Hurling Final in the Gaelic Grounds, Limerick on 23rd June 1962. Playing with the sun and wind Galway were slow to settle, and were down five points after 17 minutes. In the 20th minute Lex Marmion lashed a Sean Devlin free to the roof of the net and before the cheers died, Jim Donohue collected the breaking ball from the puck out and raced through for another goal to put Galway in the lead 2-1 to 2-0. Two minutes later centre half forward Paddy Egan had a goal and by half time Galway led 3-1 to Cork 2-0.

Against the breeze in the second half, Galway played with greater spirit and produced good first time hurling. The press and reports of the match praises the high standard of the hurling, fast and exciting and swinging from end to end. Early in the second half, Sean Devlin had three points from frees and Sean Gleeson was having the better of the midfield exchanges. Cork's dominant spell produced fast scores and came within one point of Galway. Sean Delvin's goal stabilised matters but Cork came back with a goal and a point to equalize. With but four minutes of the game remaining, Cork were ahead by 2 points.
With only 50 seconds left Jim Donohue crowned a great performance by producing the goal that mattered. Collecting the ball on the far wing he raced through a forest of Cork backs to strike a rising shot to the back of the net. Galway had won an historic victory - the Munster Intermediate Hurling title.

Among those who produced hurling of a high order on that day were Mick Connaughton, whose first time clearances were a feature, Joe Lyons at corner back, and Michael Howley, fearless in goals. Sean Gleeson was helped greatly in the second half at centre field by Cathal Stanley. In the forward division Sean Devlin was very accurate, Paddy Egan's experience counted and Cork had no answer to the full blooded, agile display of Jim Donohue.

Galway's scorers:
Sean Devlin 1-4, Jim Donohue 2-0, Paddy Egan and Lex Marmin one goal each.

Galway team for Munster Final was:
Michael Howley (Ardrahan), W. Fogarty (Beagh), T. Dolly (Abbeyknockmoy), J. Lyons (Leitrim), P O'Shaughnessy (Kinvara), M. Connaughton (Clostoken), A Furey (Oranmore), M. King (Abbeyknockmoy), S. Gleeson (Liam Mellows), S. Devlin (Gort), Paddy Egan (Castlegar), M. Curtin (Kinvara),J. Donohue (Killimor), L. Marmion (Loughrea), M. Commins (Castlegar).
C.Stanley for M. King, L. Duffy for A. Furey, O. Cooke, F. Connaire, M. Keogh, D. Forde, M. Hoare, F. Kenny, E. Muldoon and M. Donohue.

Main Sponsors

Supporters Club

Prediction League